Queer Country Social (QCS) Dance — with free lessons!
Join a bunch of smilin’ queer (LGBTQA+S*) folks (I can say this ’cause at the last dance I saw a whole bunch of smilin’, grinnin’, laughin’, socializin’ and lots of other in’s) two steppin’, west (and east) coast swingin’, waltzin’, line dancein’, cha-chain’, and more to contemporary country, r&b, and pop music (couldn’t figure how to work in more in’s in that last bit). All for a low cover of $12 (includes the lessons).
No partner necessary! Just come on by and there will be lots of partners to swing (or be swung) by 3 minutes at a time.
What?!?!?! You don’t know how to dance? Don’t you fret none, we’ll learn ya. Along with the partner dance at the beginning of the night, there are a whole bunch of folks that will help you. Take a chance, have fun, and I think you’ll be hooked (I certainly was).
Social dancing? Our DJ of the day will play all sorts of music from contemporary country, r&b, to pop music that you can two step, line dance, west coast swing, east coast swing, waltz, and more. If you have a favorite line dance, just ask the DJ. If we have it, we’ll work it into the rotation. (if we don’t we’ll see about getting it)
A bunch of us usually head over to JP Licks after for ice cream.
FYI, This is a nonalcoholic venue (’cause it’s a church, y’all).
Admission: $12 suggested sliding scale donation ($8 GFP member)
Location: First Unitarian Church of Jamaica Plain • 6 Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain, MA (side entrance of church across from The Footlight Club).
Closing Queer Country Social Dance of 2016-17 Season
(and annual meeting)
Saturday, June 17, 2017
Meeting: 5:30-6:30, Lessons: 6:30-8 pm, and social dancing: 8-11 pm
- 5:30-6:30 pm: Annual GFP members meeting.
GFP members come find out about the past year, our financial status, and elect a recording secretary as Bucky will be stepping down from that position (don’t fret, he’s not going anywhere, just needs to lesson his commitments). Pizza will be on hand to munch on.
- 6:30-8:00 pm: Lessons:
- 6:30–7:00 pm: Basic Beginner Two Step Lesson with Art Sullivan
- 7:00-7:30 pm: Beyond the Basics Partner Dance Lesson with Art Sullivan
- 7:30–8:00 pm: “Burlesque” Line Dance Lesson with Beth (see below for step-sheet/demo)
- 8:00–11:00 pm: Social dancing with DJ Bob
Bob will be playing a selection of country, pop, and r&b music to salsa, two-step, west coast, east coast, line dance galore, waltz, and maybe a tango or two.
- Burlesque: Stepsheet • Demo
32/4 (count/wall) • Advanced by Norman Gifford
Music: “Welcome to Burlesque” by Cher
Our QCS Calendar Through June 2018
(see our Calendar page for a full list or the our Google calendar below)
- Saturday, June 17, 2017 <– Closing dance of the 2016–17 season
- July and August: no Queer Country Social (too dang hot in that there church hall).
- Saturday, September 16, October 21, November 18, and December 16, 2017
January 20, February 17, March 17, 2018, March 31, April 21, and May 19, and (Friday) June 1, 2018
- Sunday, June 3, 2018 — Join us for the Walk/Run for Aids, where 30 years ago “Gays for Patsy” was coined.
- Saturday, June 9, 2018 — Dance along the parade route with us to celebrate our 30th year as Gays for Pasty
If you just need more dancing, check out our weekly Tuesday night dance, Dirty Water Saloon.